1.2 mile swim...56 mile bike...13.1 mile run
Those early morning, lunchtime and evening swims, rides and runs have paid off. Tedd completed the Florida 70.3 Ironman on May 20 at Disneyworld. It was also fun getaway weekend for the 2 of us. We left Thursday around lunchtime and drove to Savannah to drop the girls off at Pa-Paw and Grandma's house for the long weekend. We spent the night and then started our trek to Orlando Friday morning. We arrived at our hotel around 3:30 and then went to check in at the race. It was great to park the van at the hotel and take Disney transportation everywhere. To get to the race venue we had to take a bus to the Magic Kingdom and then a boat to Fort Wilderness. About the time we got on the boat, Tedd had realized that it would have been fun to bring the girls with us. I had a hard time not saying "I told you so!"
I had tried to convince Tedd that we should take the girls with us. He was concerned about his focus on the race and I couldn't really argue with that point, although I tried! I even had convinced Aunt Nell to fly down from PA and help me with the girls. My thinking was that we could have some pool time on Friday and then the 4 girls could hit Magic Kingdom on Saturday while Tedd did his pre-race stuff. My ideas were shot down, but Tedd came to his senses once we were there. Only it was too late! We have decided that we might take them to Disney next year for their birthdays - YIPPEE - I can't wait!
Anyway, we spent Saturday relaxing by the pool, wandering around Downtown Disney and having lunch at the Rainforest Cafe, which was way cool (definitely a place to take the girls!). Once we got back from Downtown Disney, Tedd took his bike and checked it in to the transition area while I sat by the pool, read my book and drank a couple of beers. We had a lowkey evening and ate dinner at the foodcourt area of our hotel. I spent some time doing some work for the Children's Museum while Tedd organized and reorganized his transition bag. He went to bed pretty early since he had to leave the hotel by 5:00 to catch the bus to For
t Wilderness. We had numerous discussions on whether I should go with him at 5:00 or sleep in and catch the transportation once it started. I went with the latter - not no one's surprise, I'm sure. I took the bus to boat route and arrived at Camp Wilderness about 15 minutes prior to seeing Tedd finish up the bike portion of the race and head into the transition area. I found a great place to hang out while he ran 3 LONG laps before finishing the race. He said beforehand that he would be ecstatic if he could break 6 hours. His official time was 5:57:56 - so he succeeded!
According to Tedd, he had a great swim, a smoking fast ride and a horrible run! Unfortunately, since the run was last, he spent more time bummed about that. I kept trying to tell him that he should focus on the fact that he broke 6 hours. I think he tried to do that! I found him at the finishline, looked for a cold coke & water and then started our trek back to the van. That turned out to be a bit of a pain in my a#$. Tedd had to ride his bike to somewhere to catch a bus that would take the athletes back to the parking lots. Family members had to get on another bus, which ended up taking up all the way around the Wilderness Campground...stopping at EVERY stop. We ended up at another bus stop, got off that bus and then got onto another bus, which took us to the parking lot. This process took about an hour. Poor Tedd sat in the parking lot wondering where in the world I ended up! We took the van back to the hotel. Tedd showered, we packed up our stuff, had a late lunch and then started our trip back to Savannah.
The girls had an awesome time in Savannah. It was hard not telling them where we had been since they want to go there so bad! We managed to get through our stories without saying where exactly we had been. They knew we went to Florida for daddy's race. I'll maybe blog about their weekend in Savannah!
Sorry this is so long...hope it's not too boring, but that's what we've been up to lately!
Those early morning, lunchtime and evening swims, rides and runs have paid off. Tedd completed the Florida 70.3 Ironman on May 20 at Disneyworld. It was also fun getaway weekend for the 2 of us. We left Thursday around lunchtime and drove to Savannah to drop the girls off at Pa-Paw and Grandma's house for the long weekend. We spent the night and then started our trek to Orlando Friday morning. We arrived at our hotel around 3:30 and then went to check in at the race. It was great to park the van at the hotel and take Disney transportation everywhere. To get to the race venue we had to take a bus to the Magic Kingdom and then a boat to Fort Wilderness. About the time we got on the boat, Tedd had realized that it would have been fun to bring the girls with us. I had a hard time not saying "I told you so!"
I had tried to convince Tedd that we should take the girls with us. He was concerned about his focus on the race and I couldn't really argue with that point, although I tried! I even had convinced Aunt Nell to fly down from PA and help me with the girls. My thinking was that we could have some pool time on Friday and then the 4 girls could hit Magic Kingdom on Saturday while Tedd did his pre-race stuff. My ideas were shot down, but Tedd came to his senses once we were there. Only it was too late! We have decided that we might take them to Disney next year for their birthdays - YIPPEE - I can't wait!
Anyway, we spent Saturday relaxing by the pool, wandering around Downtown Disney and having lunch at the Rainforest Cafe, which was way cool (definitely a place to take the girls!). Once we got back from Downtown Disney, Tedd took his bike and checked it in to the transition area while I sat by the pool, read my book and drank a couple of beers. We had a lowkey evening and ate dinner at the foodcourt area of our hotel. I spent some time doing some work for the Children's Museum while Tedd organized and reorganized his transition bag. He went to bed pretty early since he had to leave the hotel by 5:00 to catch the bus to For
According to Tedd, he had a great swim, a smoking fast ride and a horrible run! Unfortunately, since the run was last, he spent more time bummed about that. I kept trying to tell him that he should focus on the fact that he broke 6 hours. I think he tried to do that! I found him at the finishline, looked for a cold coke & water and then started our trek back to the van. That turned out to be a bit of a pain in my a#$. Tedd had to ride his bike to somewhere to catch a bus that would take the athletes back to the parking lots. Family members had to get on another bus, which ended up taking up all the way around the Wilderness Campground...stopping at EVERY stop. We ended up at another bus stop, got off that bus and then got onto another bus, which took us to the parking lot. This process took about an hour. Poor Tedd sat in the parking lot wondering where in the world I ended up! We took the van back to the hotel. Tedd showered, we packed up our stuff, had a late lunch and then started our trip back to Savannah.
The girls had an awesome time in Savannah. It was hard not telling them where we had been since they want to go there so bad! We managed to get through our stories without saying where exactly we had been. They knew we went to Florida for daddy's race. I'll maybe blog about their weekend in Savannah!
Sorry this is so long...hope it's not too boring, but that's what we've been up to lately!
No comments:
Post a Comment