3.18.2007

A Lovely Boot

That is my latest fashion accessory. Note that it is a boot...not a pair of boots. Yep, I'm in one of those lovely walking boots because I broke my leg about a month ago. Apparently being mom to Mason and Kate was a little boring and I needed to spice things up a little bit. So, how did this happen, you might ask...

We were at Mom & Dad's house for a quick visit with Uncle Sparky who was here for 1 night from Phoenix (wow...to be young!). Kate was having so much fun that she didn't want to go home. I picked her up and we were heading to the car. I was wearing my Dansko's and rolled my ankle, as many people tend to do in those marvelous shoes! Next thing I knew I was on the cold ground in an immense amount of pain. I believe Kate it the real culprit here...not really...I can't blame it on her! I do think, however, that because I was holding an extra 40 pounds, I couldn't catch myself like I normally do and therefore, went down. I'm not sure how I managed to do it, but I was able to set Kate down fairly gently on her bottom. I guess you could say "I saved the child and broke my leg!" She and Mason were obviously distraught to see Mommy hurt and not able to get off the ground. I was down for quite some time because I thought I was going to hurl or pass out. Tedd and Dad were able to unstick me from the frozen earth and help me to the car. I'm not sure when I've been in that much pain - it sucked! The ride home was the longest 15 minutes of my life - I really wasn't sure I was going to make it without puking! Somehow I did and was able to get on the couch - from which I didn't move for a day and a half.

I didn't really want to go to the ER on a Saturday. Besides, I figure I had sprained it pretty bad - I never imagined it was broken. By Sunday afternoon I knew I needed to visit the doctor. Turns out, once again, I'm not the best diagnostician! After an x-ray, it was determined that I did indeed break my leg - my fibula to be exact. I was immediately sent to the orthopedist who gave me this lovely new accessory! I am to wear this thing for a total of 6-8 weeks - I'm hoping for 6 - but at least I'm halfway through it! For the first few weeks I was on crutches which hindered my life a little bit. I've been told that I needed to slow down a little bit, but this is a tad extreme! Oh well! Thank goodness for great family and friends who have been kind enough to bring us wonderful meals and help out with the girls! I don't know what I'd do without all of you!

No comments: