9.01.2008

It's facebook's fault!

Well...I had really hoped that my blogging would improve. However, I've really been sucked in to the world of facebook and I think too much of my computer time goes to that. So, what's been going on in the world of the Garners? LOTS...I'll try to recap 2008 thus far! Sorry for the lengthy entry!

My 2008 began in an incredible way - in Cuba. New Years' Eve 2007 is one of the most memorable days i've ever had. We had been in Cuba since the 27th, spending time with our new Cuban friends from La Iglesia Bautista del Camino (the Baptist Church of the Way). FBC Greenville has a partnership with this church and it was the first time a team from our church had gone down to get to know the members of this church.

Monday, December 31 found us at the home of Servillio and Marina for the "End of the Year Cult Celebration" - we certainly weren't sure what that meant, but it turned out to be an incredible day. I think it was just a translation thing that called it a "cult!" We spent time out in their gardens...talking, sharing life stories, eating fresh fried plantains and singing/dancing to bon jovi & aerosmith. we then had an incredible worship service in spanish and english. My friend, Kathy, preached her very first sermon and it was amazing. We shared an experience that is beyond words. After the service we shared an incredible meal, which included a roasted pig, whom we had met on Friday :-) It was so yummy...roasted pig, black beans and rice, fresh fried plantains, fresh guava, fresh bananas (right off the tree in the garden), salad - it was quite a feast. Later in the afternoon we went back to our hotel to rest for a little while. The hotel arranged for us to have a "special" dinner in the private room before the night's activities were scheduled to begin. The hotel had a huge party around the pool. We enjoyed ourselves, but it was hard to get into the stand-up comedians who were speaking spanish so fast we couldn't understand much! Cara and I enjoyed our Cuba Libres & Cuban cigars, though! We came home on January 2, but I knew I was going back. That wish has come to fruition and I am leading the team that will return on December 28!

Winter/Early Spring was pretty much regular stuff going on...school for the girls, gymnastics and brownies for Mason, ballet for Kate, work for Tedd, numerous volunteer things for me. I had a crazy wild hair and did a boot camp for 8 weeks this spring...i wouldn't say it was fun, but it was great to accomplish things I never thought I could do! The girls, Cara and I went to Fripp for a few days over spring break to join Paige and her kids. It was fun, but cold. There was a day that we went out on the beach with kids playing in their bathing suits and the grown-ups sitting in sweatshirts and long pants! It was nice to have a short getaway, though.

Then came summer! The girls went to Savannah for the first week out of school - they had a blast at "Camp Grandma" and I enjoyed having some time to chill out, meet friends for lunch and got to a meeting or two without having to find a sitter! I think it was a great experience for all involved and the girls are looking forward to going back next summer!

Mason did swimteam again this summer and it was awesome! She started out swimming her standard back and short free. Then she added in long free. The coaches decided to offer an incentive this year. If the swimmers swam in each event over the course of the season they would get an ironman tshirt. Mason wanted the shirt so they went to work. In one meet, Mason swam breast, fly and 100M IM - she learned how to swim breast and fly on Monday and the meet was on Tuesday...it was quite incredible and we were very proud parents! She was DQ'd in all events, but it didn't matter - she did it...and was the only 8-under girl who even tried it! At the awards ceremony, not only did Mason get her ironman tshirt, but she was also awarded with the Most Improved Swimmer for the whole Brookfield swimteam...again, very proud parents!

The third week of June found us at Edisto, one of our favorite places on earth. We rented the same house as last year with Nan, Pop-Pop, John-John and Aunt Nell. Again, the highlight for the girls was having a golf cart that came with the house! We had lots of fun at the pool and the beach. Kate surprised us all by going under water in both the pool and ocean. It was a huge breakthrough for her and we were very proud of her. It was a huge fear that she seems to have overcome! One suprise we had that week was seeing Kate's teacher, Ms. Joann, on the beach. We were sitting on the beach one day and looked over at this lady who looked like Ms. Joann. I sat trying not to stare! Tedd walked past her and called her name...it was her! She had come down for a few days and was just as surprised as we were! We had a great time visiting with her and playing in the waves! Ms. Joann is truly a blessing and it was such fun to see her at the beach! We were sad to leave, but knew we'd be back next summer!

I'll add more later!

No comments: