Last night began normal enough. We had 2 REALLY tired girls, who went to bed like the sweethearts they CAN be. My boot insert had gotten incredibly stinky so I asked Tedd to wash it last night. I figured if I slept on the couch, I wouldn't have to try to get upstairs without my walking boot. I went to sleep sometime.
At about 2:45 Tedd woke me up saying "I don't want to startle you, but I've just called the police." Of course, my heart starts racing. Apparently there was a guy in our driveway who had wrecked his Harley. We sat quietly in the den because we didn't want to make him aware that we were up and had called the cops. Seems that maybe he had a bit too much to drink and had some trouble with the curve in the road. He took out the neighbors mailbox, came through their yard, crossed our driveway and looped back around into our driveway and crashed. Tedd heard the trademark Harley sound, then the horn honked and heard a crash. He got up and looked out of the bedroom window to see this guy trying to pick up his bike. I'm sorry I missed the show because it was a tad bit entertaining, albeit sad. His first attempt at picking up his bike resulted in it falling back down and him doing a double back roll down our driveway. The second attempt found him falling backwards - no roll this time. The third attempt found him falling on his face and laying there. At this point, Tedd called 911.
Tedd calling 911, coming downstairs to fill me in and the EMS guys getting here, the dude left. After asking some questions, they took off looking for him. Then 3 sherriff's office cars show up and start looking around and taking notes. A fire truck then comes. It was quite a sight looking out the front window. Then, for a reason I haven't figured out yet, they called in the Highway Patrol. The Sherriff's department left when HP got here. Tedd talked to them for a while and then he went next door to talk to the neighbor who lost their mailbox and now has some nice divots in his grass (which he takes really good care of). The Highway Patrol guy asked Tedd some questions and then said he'd call a wrecker to come take the Harley. My thinking was that a Harley is an awfully expensive toy to abandon in someone's driveway. At 5:30 this morning, the wrecker came to take it away and the HP guy left. I went back to sleep before the wrecker got here, but Tedd didn't get back to sleep until after that. Needless to say, we were both pretty beat today. Luckily the girls slept through all of the excitement.
So, now my curiosity is getting the best of me. I want to know if they found the guy and whether or not he was alright. I imagine he didn't feel very good when he got up this morning. I'm also imagine he might be in a bit of trouble - not only was he driving under the influence, but he also damaged personal property and fled the scene. I don't know if we'll ever know how this story ends, but I sure would like to!
8.03.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment